Thursday, February 18, 2010

Blood: The Last Vampire - 2009 * * *


Where evil grows, she preys.
The one thing that kept me stuck on the edge of my seat with this film was not the exciting action, instead it was my amusement at thinking I may possibly be watching Archie out of 'Eastenders' playing an American in a vampire film. I still wasn't 100% sure whether I was seeing things until the end credits rolled and it was only then that I realised I wasn't going mad and that it actually was him. Onto the actual film now - I am aware that this movie was based on a short anime but you don't necessarily need to have watched that in order to see this. It was pretty violent, pretty sharp and pretty action packed, but it wasn't brilliant by any lengths and although I found the main character Saya to be perfect in the part, I thought that her friend and 'sidekick' (if you can even call her that) was gastly and a dreadful addition showing us a stereotypical teenager attitude to everything which sometimes defied the object of having Saya there and on her side. The actress who plays Saya really seemed to get her just right, as she is portrayed as young and naive with her school uniform and knee-length socks when in reality she is a cold-hearted killer. Not a bad film but once is probably too much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment