Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Green Man - 1956 *****



Alastair Sim, Terry Thomas, could you want anything more in a film? Nope.

My dad told me how funny the book of this film was and I decided I had to see what all the fuss was about. Very strangely although I am a huge fan of both Thomas and Sim I have never really heard much about this movie and therefore always overlooked it.

Bombs, affairs, dead bodies and vintage English humour, this movie has all of them. And also a rather amusing plot about a vacuum cleaner salesman who accidently finds a body in someone else's house and forms a friendship with the woman who lives there (much to her fiance's disgust). Alastair Sim also provides hilarious back-up as a would-be assassin who wants to blow up a Cabinet Minister whose affair has been uncovered and is about to be consumated at the Green Man Hotel, bumping into Terry Thomas at the same time and mixing him up in the whole sorry mess. Could it get anymore perfect?No.

No comments:

Post a Comment