Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Smiles of a Summer Night - 1955 ***



I have been waiting so long to watch this film, mainly because it is the basis that Woody Allen used for my favourite film 'A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy' which I absolutely adore.

I never really knew that Bergman could be funny, and in this he certainly threw in some light-hearted and humourous dialogue.

The plot is basically centred around a couple of couples ( haha!) one where an older man is married to a much younger woman and has therefore not consumated their marriage, whilst he carries on behind her back with an ex-lover, another couple consist of a woman who's husband is having an affair with the same lover as the first and her wife is aware of everything and therefore tries to flirt with the first husband, and then you have the first husband's son who is besotted it seems by the family maid who in turn seems to have a soft spot for the young wife... Confused? Believe me it's much easier to watch that write about. And it's quite light-hearted, but in my personal opinion not a patch on AMNSC. However I suppose I am comparing this movie to that which is probably not a good idea given that really the plot isn't the same, and so I will say that it has it's merits but isn't one that I would watch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment