Saturday, January 07, 2012

(NOIR) D.O.A. - 1950 ****

A very interesting and different film. The iconic first scene where Edmund O'Brien walks into the police station and tells them that he wants to report a murder, his own. We are then taken back to the beginning of the story to find out why exactly O'Brien believes he is going to die. It's a fascinating film, and completely original, I haven't yet seen a film noir with such originality. I do love films where the film goes backwards. O'Brien (who I have never heard of) does a great job of playing a condemned man. As the film is available in the public domain I recommend it to everyone.
PS I originally thought DOA stood for Dead or Alive, it's actually something completely different, and very fitting to the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment