Monday, January 16, 2012

Sahara - 1943 **** 1/2



I have a very wide love for black and white films, but I haven't quite come to terms with some of the 1940s war films of the time. I did however watch and enjoy 'Ice Cold in Alex' which I thought was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Here however we have a film where Humphrey Bogart, normally known for playing gangsters, lawyers and general killers, is stuck in the desert with his men after being separated from their unit. They are forced to make a detour of the desert to find water after the well they turn up at is dry. The story revolves around these men and their relationships while they try and come to terms with where they are and how they are supposed to survive. One of the last scenes is incredibly poignant with Bogart acting his socks off as usual. In fact most of the film shows Bogart's acting off to a pinacle of perfection. He really is superb.

No comments:

Post a Comment