Tuesday, January 31, 2012

(HORROR) Dream House - 2011 ***1/2



At first this seemed like it was going to be a bad version of the Japanese original that I had wanted to watch. But when my best friend came over for film day recently he brought this with him and said we should give it a try. So we did. And although it started off exactly the way I had imagined it would I was actually amazed at how complicated the story became. Not to say that I understood it properly but I think he did, and appreciated all the little nuances that I completely missed. It's one to watch if you enjoy movies that go backwards and forwards in time showing you past and present events very quickly (that was what confused me) but not one to see if you just want straightforward dumbed down horror. You really have to think about this film. Daniel Craig was actually better than I had expected (he always seems to act in the same deadpan way) and Rachel Weisz was powerful as his wife. The couple move with their two daughters to what they think is a lovely house in a lovely neighbourhood, but in reality it has many ghastly secrets that no one will share with them, especially when they want to know if anything happened in the house...

No comments:

Post a Comment