Saturday, April 25, 2009

Alfie - 1965


What's it all about, Alfie?

Alfie is one of those film that I imagined to be completely different than what it was. I imagined a light, frothy look at male sexuality in the 60s and what I actually got was a really quite disturbing movie about a male who treats women like objects even going as far as to call them 'it'. Michael Caine is a great actor and I think this film really gave him a chance to perform as a nasty, manipulative character. The only thing I was really annoyed at was the finale, as nothing was resolved and I had no opportunity to start to feel any kind of sympathy towards Alfie, which was something I was counting on. A very good film however with some great 60s actresses including Shelley Winters who actually didn't annoy me for once.

Rating 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment