Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Pink Flamingos - 1972 *


Yup, Im going to be one of those people in the minority who thoroughly disliked this movie.

Don't get me wrong, I actually thought Divine was really funny and played the part well, but seriously, this film is not something I would want to show my worst enemy let alone my best friend. How much more obvious does John Waters have to be about trying to gross out his audience? Not feeling nauseous enough by the sight of a grossly obese grown woman in a baby crib stuffing eggs down her throat? Well how about watching a man try to sexually molest a chicken and proceeding to crush it to death ( for real) in the process. This isn't enjoyable, although yes, it certainly shocked me which I suppose is the point, right down to the last now infamous scene where Divine eats a ... well you know..

The film did what it set out to do, it freaked me out, but there will be no prizes for excellent acting going to this director, or any of his cast, who spoke their lines as though it was the first time they had ever heard them in a horribly wooden and unimaginative way.

The story is really non-existant as well, and so why would anyone think this is an enjoyable way to spend time?

And please, let's not have anyone saying 'oh you just didn't understand it, it's a hidden gem etc' because no, I didn't understand it, and I'm struggling to understand which part of it is the 'gem' bit. Does it make me crazy to want to watch a well acted film with a good plot?I guess that's not important in a film anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment