Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Born Yesterday - 1950 **



Correct me if I'm wrong, but generally comedies are supposed to be funny yes?

This wasn't funny, and in fact there were some parts that I thought were really distasteful. Added to which I don't know woh ever got the idea that Judy Holliday could act or even speak properly. Now I know where Jean Hagen got her inspiration for her dreadful, squeaky voice for her part of Lina Lamont in 'Singing in the Rain'. Apparently Holliday's character was based around Harlow... Er I've heard Harlow speak and she sounds NOTHING like this person. Harlow has a twang to her voice which makes it appealing, whereas Holliday sounds like her voice is about to break everytime she says more than a few syllables. Her character is continuously annoying, coming across as being thick as two ahort planks, with none of the 'dumb-blonde' appeal that Monroe has. We know that Monroe is in fact intelligent and is cleverly playing her stereotypical characters, whereas with Holliday I could really imagine she was as stupid as she makes out.

I wondered for a time why I hadn't heard anything of Judy Holliday, after all, she comes across as a gorgeous blonde like Monroe or Mansfield in her pictures and is known for making comedies ( same as the other two) but I understand now that the reason I have heard so little about her is because people find her too annoying to talk about!

William Holden was about the only decent thing going in this film, and even he didn't hold my attention long enough to make me enjoy the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment