Monday, April 11, 2011

Week End - 1967 *


I know that I didn't 'get' this film. I don't pretend that I did. But I can't deny my dislike of what I did 'get' of it.

Godard appears to have made this film whilst on some illegal drug, serving to ruin the whole experience of what may have been a well-crafted movie if it wasn't being directed all over the place.

Deciding to go away for the weekend, a feuding couple encounter the weirdest and strangest things I have seen in a 60s film, including death, rape and cannibalism. It's listed as a black comedy, but doesn't that mean there should at least be some comedy in the thing?Apparently this is Godard's 'trademark', and if his trademark means making a mess of a film I don't feel very inclined to watch 'Breathless.' But as stated at the beginning, I obviously didn't 'get it.'

No comments:

Post a Comment