Friday, April 01, 2011

U-571 - 2000 ***


If I watch enough of these kinds of films about submarines and wars etc I may be able to work out why all of the male population seems to love them so much.

Anyway this wasn't a bad movie, and the cast was okay. It's all about German U-Boats, and how a small group of English crew members decide to get on board, disguised as German Navy submariners and steal an important cipher machine. The Germans are portrayed awfully in this movie which I find a bit over the top, but then again this is a fictional account of lots of events from WW2 merged together and so I suppose it's valid enough. I thought the action in the submarine was brilliant, and it really gives you a feeling of nausea thinking that people had to sleep, eat and live in something underwater that moved constantly from side to side with not a very clear idea of where they were actually going. There was a real U-571 but these exact events never happened to it, in fact it sunk off Ireland in 1944. Anyway it's not a brilliant film but it gives you a bit of excitement anyway and some action which was what I was after. ( I'm turning into a man.)

No comments:

Post a Comment