Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dark Water - 2002 ***


About 100 times better than the American version which I stupidly saw first, this offering of Japanese horror had me on edge throughout the movie. A mother and her small daughter move into a flat after a messy divorce, only realising when they have been there for a short time that there is something weird about the block of flats. For a start there is a huge water stain gradually growing bigger on their ceiling despite the fact that there is no one occupying the flat upstairs, and there is also a mysterious red school satchel that keeps turning up throughout the complex, although no child has claimed it. This is one of those Japanese films that you really need to watch more than once because to be honest it was only after I had seen it that I began to see the relevance of certain things and will have to repeat my viewing to really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment