Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Single Man - 2009 *****


I would rate this as one of the very best films I have seen this year. Colin Firth has come out of his shell and has embraced his part in this with vigour. Firth is the distraught and depressed English Professor who lost his long-time partner in a car accident some 8 months ago. Finding it difficult to even function anymore through his days because of his agonising grief he decides to resort to a drastic measure, but not before taking time see the people who have touched him the most. This is not a gay film. Many people ( or rather many straight men) have been put off watching it because they believe it will be full of homosexual scenes, but there are only one or two at most and in my personal opinion I don't think the film would be the same without them. This is a film where every scene counts and there is nothing 'sordid' going on. The film is about the never-ending love of one person for another, and has nothing to do with the gender.It shouldn't even matter. I was heart-broken by Firth's performance, look out for one particular scene near the beginning where he gets bad news on the phone, as it is some of the best acting I have ever seen.
One I would recommend you buy, because there will always be a day when you will want to re-visit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment