Tuesday, December 16, 2008

La Cienaga (The Swamp) - 2001

I should like to say that I am a huge fan of foreign films and this by no means prejudices whether I like the film or not. In amazon people who rate foreign films with low marks are sometimes critisised as not being clever enough to understand a film in subtitles when in fact sometimes the story is just not very gripping. I found this with Lucrecia Martel's anything but interesting story - La Cienaga. Contrary to the popular opinion of many art film buffs (again from amazon) that a film like this has many layers which need to be dissected and interpreted, I simply found it a rather turid excuse for an art movie. Understandably the film is set near a swamp, while it appears, a heat wave is occuring over the entire city which probably doesn't make the smell of the swamp any more appealing. At the same time we see the relationships of the nearby occupants slowly disintegrate as the heat becomes even more uncomfortable. Forgive me if I am wrong but in my mind that is not the most exciting or tantilizing of stories, and the acting I'm afraid is pretty much the same.

Rating 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment