Monday, December 15, 2008

Monkey Business - 1952



A good buy? Well goodbye to you!

What better way to spend the evening than indulging in this light-hearted comedy from the hilarious director Howard Hawks. Containing three of my favourite actors (Grant, Monroe and Rogers) this enjoyable story centres around Cary Grant's character Barnaby, a research chemist who invents a new type of pill supposedly developed to enable people to never grow old. Mayhem ensues when the pill is accidently taken by first Grant then Rogers resulting in a hilarious concoction of scenes that truly take advantage of Hawks' trademark screwball comedy. Monroe's part as Grant's secretary is perfectly acceptable and Roger's slightly weary role as wife to Grant does in fact turn out to be very funny, proof that Rogers could do more than just dance. It is Cary Grant who as always steals the show, evidence in my own opinion that there is not one film I have seen him in where he hasn't either moved me, romanced me or made me collapse with laughter on the floor!


This film is a fantastic experience, combining satirical comedy and some great personalities based around a very silly and fluffy plot. A lovely movie to watch anytime and seeing Marilyn Monroe and Cary Grant in a film together for me is just the best feeling in the world!

Rating 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment