Monday, December 15, 2008

Lady For a Night - 1942

I wanted to escape my kind, the ones I thought were trash to be with you, the rich people, now I know that you are the trash...

This film shocked me given that I didn't even know it exsisted until recently. John Wayne was not the lead, but the supporting part which was also a shock! The lead was given to feisty and fun-loving Joan Blondell, who as the Memphis Belle of Wayne's club decides she wants to leave that kind of life behind and find solice with a rich and society-driven man. She does so and moves into the ominous and eerie 'The Shadows' - the name of the house where her husband lives. The rest of his family are not welcoming or happy that he has taken a wife, nor one of such low standard. Events however take a turn for the worse as Blondell realises that she isn't quite as welcomed into the wealthy society life that she thought she would be...

An enjoyable film, but not one that will really stand out in my memory in months to come. Worth a watch to see Joan Blondell perform 'Up in a Balloon Boys'!

Rating 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment