Friday, December 12, 2008

Manhattan - 1979



Who do you think you are, god?... Well I have to model myself on someone!


Having just watched Woody Allen's iconic and beautifully photographed film 'Manhattan' I am in two views. On one hand I am bowled away by both the Gershwin score which features constantly throughout the film (especially featuring the mesmerising 'Rhapsody in Blue') and also the amazing black and white cinematography which made the film so famous at the time. However on the other hand is Woody Allen's irritating and manic character whch seems to be portrayed not just in this but also in his earlier work 'Annie Hall.' I know many people see Woody Allen as a marmite actor - you either love his quirkiness or hate his non-stop repetition and over the top 'comic' jibes. I can't say I agree with either, for there were moments when I raised a smile, but there were also times I considered turning the film off because of his whiny attitude to love and relationships. However I did find Diane Keaton particularly humourous like I did in 'Annie Hall', where in both she portrays Woody Allen's intellectual and beautiful object of desire (Allen and Keaton were nearing the end of their personal relationship by the time this film was shot). However, despite Keaton's hilarity and Allen's bumbling absurdity I have to say that if it wasn't for the breathtaking cinematic portrayal of Manhattan city in the first four minutes of this film I would be giving it one less star.

Rating (because of the cinematography) 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment