Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Grand Hotel - 1932

It's always the same here, people come, people go, nothing ever happens...


Grand Hotel is one of those select few movies which I have kept from watching for a long time, I did so because I was worried that because it was so renowned as a masterpiece I may for some reason not like it as much as I thought I should and then the illusion would all be lost. I need not have worried. This film is a masterpeice in every sense. In the plot - the idea of a group of people who don't know each other coming to a hotel and all meeting, the character relationships, the setting, the glamour. I can fully understand why this movie was given such applause when it was released. Many black and white films can be critisised as being dated after they have been out for a few decades, but there is no way this could ever apply to 'Grand Hotel.' After all hotels have and will be around for many more decades to come, and there will always be people checking in and checking out. Such a simple idea, and yet such an ingenious idea for a movie.







Ashamedly as a supposed movie obsessive I had also never experienced Greta Garbo on the screen. 'How on earth not!' I hear you cry, well yet again I was putting it off because I was worried all the hype about her would not live up to my high opinion of her. Happily I was wrong again. Garbo rules the scene. She captures you and then sucks you into her world and you are entranced. I have no doubt in my mind that she is a divine actress in every possible way. She has class, beauty and one of the most expressive faces I have ever seen. She is already, and only after one film, in my list of favourite actresses. Joan Crawford also shines here, she really was a beautiful and talented actress in her day. I have seen many of her later films, but never any from her immediate post-flapper days. Her part is not massive but we are still given the opportunity to see how she reacts and how she performs. Of course it is fairly well known that she is one of the original flappers of the twenties and it is clear to see that she still holds a bit of that persona close to her.

However the one actor that stands out for me is John Barrymore. He alone is breathtaking, and he and Garbo together is nothing short of mesmerising. Being a relatively new fan of John Barrymore I have not seem a lot of his films, in fact to my recollection 'Dinner at Eight' is the only other film in which I have experienced his screen presence. I thought he was brilliant in that but viewing him in this has confirmed for me that he is the epitome of charisma and elegence in the thirties. This film therefore has not only opened my eyes to a fantastic plot but has introduced me to some wonderful actors too which I am over the moon about. To be honest my enthusiam is bubbling over about this film, all I can do is recommend it highly from the bottom of my heart, and plead with you to not just rent it, but to buy a copy, for it will without a doubt be a film that you will want to watch over and over again that will transport you back to the thirties - a time of passion, grace, wit and elegence, they really don't make them like this anymore. Fact.

Rating 6/5

No comments:

Post a Comment