Monday, July 18, 2011

(NOIR) Apology for Murder - 1945 ****



I adore film noir films. They are perfect for a cosy, rainy Saturday in front of the TV. I have seen a fair few, and many are left to watch, but I'm always worried that I'm going to run out of really spectacular ones, and therefore am getting more into B-Movie noirs as time goes by. Many people dismiss B-movies without giving them a chance and sometimes they are right to, but I must say, all the B-movies I have ever seen have not disappointed me and they give you a much bigger scope when it comes to experiencing new films. Added to which, they are usually a lot shorter than normal feature lengths, and you can therefore fit more in which is always a bonus for me.

Apology for Murder is relatively unknown, but Ann Savage, the main star (also starred in 'Detour') is excellent in her role as the greedy wife of a rich man who decides, with her willing lover, to bump him off and claim his cash. Very much along the same lines as 'Double Indemnity', but with a slightly easier story to follow, in many ways 'Apology for Murder' is actually superior to the other. Savage has wetted my appetite for more B-noirs, and I will be keeping my eye out for her other films.

No comments:

Post a Comment