Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Belles of St Trinian's - 1954 ****



I've seen this and I've seen the newest version of St Trinian's, and I can safely and happily say that I much prefered the original. Alastair Sim is hilarious as both the headmistress and her brother, who find the school in dire straits due to unpaid bills (Miss Fritten prefers to stash all the money she makes away in a safe rather than use any of it to pay the school bills!) and so come up with a scheme that involves a rich new student whose father owns a racehorse. Chaos ensues, but it's all good fun and Sim is one of the only actors I know who is equally believable as a woman. For although you know it's him dolled up in women's clothes you sort of forget once you get into the story. My advice, watch this, forget the remake.

No comments:

Post a Comment