Monday, July 11, 2011

A Tale of Two Cities - 1935 *****



Wow. I thought that Dirk Bogarde's portrayal of Sydney Carton was one of the best I had seen, but Ronald Colman just blew my mind. His timing, his expressions, his acting, his just general prescence as this character was overwhelming. I honestly don't think anyone could bring Charles' Dickens hero to light like this man.

Most people know the story of A.T.O.T.C. and those that don't should look it up on Wikipedia. I think that this is probably one of the best Dicken's stories that he wrote. Has anyone ever portrayed the French Revolution in equally positive and negative tones? I highly doubt it. It's so passionate and so full of anger and despair that it demands to be read and watched.

The last scene is heart-breaking, and if that doesn't tug at your heart-strings for those poor people then nothing will.

No comments:

Post a Comment