Monday, July 18, 2011

My Left Foot - 1989 *



The reviewer on the poster above says that this film makes you ''laugh out loud with joy.' Really?

Are we watching the same film? Because it seems to me that this is one of the most depressing films I have actually seen in my life.

First things first, Daniel Day-Lewis is an amazing actor, and I don't believe he has ever been in a dud movie. He is full of expression and passion in all his roles, which made it all the more strange that he was the lead role in this, based on a true story about a boy named Christy Brown who is paralysed and can only write, draw etc with his left foot. I'm not saying it doesn't blow your mind to think that someone can actually function that way but I would imagine if that is your only way of being able to communicate with the outside world then you would make a jolly good effort at trying anything.

The performance was spot on, but I just found the subject matter too upsetting to really relax and start enjoying the movie. I know there were funny bits in it but I couldn't get past feeling totally dreadful for Brown and his predicament which I'm sure he would frown on. Not in a pitying way, more that life is dreadfully unfair in how it treats innocent people, but one thing is for sure, and that is that he certainly made the most of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment