Monday, July 11, 2011

(HORROR) Cropsey - 2009 ****



I was expecting to find this film pretty laughable, but came away feeling very unhinged and overly disturbed. What starts as a documentary about an Urban Legend turns into a sort of True Crime investigation into the disappearance of several mentally disabled children who go missing in Statton Island in the 1980s and the eventual arrest and trial of the lunatic named Andre Rand who is convicted of their brutal killings. We never know for a fact whether Rand is the actual killer or just singled out because of his weird and bizarre behaviour, (one theory is that he murdered children who had a disability in a way of cleansing the world of 'abnormal people', a bit like Jack the Ripper who was said to have killed prostitutes because he thought he was 'cleaning up the streets) but the film-makers do a good job of showing us plenty of footage from witnesses, relatives and people of interest who all paint a terrifying picture of this man.

I love documentaries about serial killers (I know, I know, that makes me sound mentally unhinged), but I did find myself thinking that I was watching two different programmes, one on an urban legend and another on a specific person who may or may not have been guilty of these heinous crimes. Take out the Urban Legend about 'Cropsey' and you would have a 5 star documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment