Monday, July 18, 2011

Risky Business - 1983 **



So this is the film everyone rave about where Tom Cruise is dancing around his living room in his underwear?

I can't say I was altogether impressed with this movie. Cruise in his first feature role already seems to cocky and self-assured which seems to overshadow the fact that he's not actually a very good actor. He's too over the top for my liking. Too 'typical American boy' who thinks too much of himself.

After being left in charge of the house when his parents go away for the weekend, Cruise orders a prostitute for a laugh, not knowing that she has a seriously mixed up past which she ends up dragging Cruise headfirst into.

The only film I have ever really liked Cruise in was my old favourite 'Top Gun', but that was more because I loved the film as a whole. Here we have too much time to gaze on Cruise frolicking around around in his underpants and driving his parents' car like a total moron at 100 mph after he is confronted by the prostitute's pimp.

He comes across as too arrogant for us to be sympathetic to, but too needy for us to take him seriously as a young man. Just a very weird film.

No comments:

Post a Comment