Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bachelor Mother - 1939 ***



I think that however much I love Ginger Rogers as an actress that (with the exception of 2 other films) she only really shines in her Fred and Gingers escapades.

I didn't think much of this film, and I certainly don't think it's one I would care to see again. David Niven was probably the only good thing about it, and Ginger Rogers was completely non-descript and uninteresting ( in my opinion) which was a shame really because she is so incredibly beautiful and charming in her collaborations with Astaire.

Rogers takes pity on an abandoned baby and goes to pick it up, only for the owner of the orphanage to assume that it is in fact Rogers who mothered the baby. She therefore has to take the baby home which causes all sorts of problems, especially as she has just been fired from her job. (One plot-hole I find amazing is that all the people who know her don't question the fact that she has suddenly acquired a child without even looking pregnant or going into labour, but hey, suspend disbelief n'all) David Niven of course comes to the rescue and romance blossoms. But I just didn't mesh with the film.

(To watch a couple of films Ginger is actually good in try 'Lucky Partners' with Ronald Coleman and of course 'Monkey Business' with Cary Grant:) )

No comments:

Post a Comment