Monday, June 20, 2011

The Long Night - 1940 *** 1/2



Henry Fonda really is an excellent actor, he's so natural and realistic which makes watching him really appealing. I'm determined to continue trying to watch as many of his films as I can, I'm sure there are still a fair few left to see!

This film stars Fonda as well as good old Vincent Price who tries to pass himself off as Fonda's new girlfriend's father because he secretly has obsessive feelings for her. He succeeds in brain-washing Fonda's girlfriend with magic tricks (he's a performing magician on the stage) and power of persuasion leading to a nail-biting finale.

I've never seen Ann Dvorak in anything but she's sassy and tough and I liked her character very much. Price was very good, slightly hammy but that's his trademark and of course Fonda stole the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment