Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Waiting to Exhale - 1995 ***



This is a fairly enjoyable film although I agree with other reviewers who say that 3 out of the 4 women are embroiled in relationships where the man is either married or seeing someone else, and therefore you don't feel a tremendous amount of sympathy towards them when they moan about how the men in their lives aren't treating them very well ( except for the woman who is dumped by her husband for the younger woman). Surely they are as much to blame as the men they seduce?? Anyway, if I push that to the back of my mind and try to enjoy this film on a purely entertainment level ( that's hard for me, I always have to analyse!) then you come away from it feeling pretty good, and pretty strong as a female with the feeling that actually, you don't need a man to make a good life for yourself. Angela Bassett gives a great performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment