Thursday, June 09, 2011

(NOIR) Nightmare Alley - 1947 ** 1/2



I've never seen Tyrone Power in anything until I watched this last night. I'm not sure really whether I admire him or find him very annoying. All he does is seem to chew gum throughout the film and smirk with a one-sided grin.

I didn't think much of the storyline either - a carnie sets about scamming people with a fellow circus performer (Joan Blondell) who claims to be able to be speak to and communicate with the dead. Add in some fighting and a girl who seems totally besotted by Power whilst he struts around treating her like dirt and you sort of have the movie.

Not a film noir, sorry, but if you compare this to something like 'The Big Heat/Out of the Past' it couldn't be less like a noir. ( Well it is in b&w but you know what I mean!)

I wouldn't bother with it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment