Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Love Me Tonight - 1932 ***



I was expecting more from this movie, only because it's always raved about by eminent film critics who say it's probably the best early musical ever made. I don't think it is. And I've seen a lot of musicals. Can we not count a Fred and Ginger movie such as 'Swing Time' as the best instead?

This is over the top, but not in a fun and excitable way which musicals are supposed to be, more over the top in an awkward and not particularly enjoyable way where you find yourself fidgeting and fast forwarding the songs to get to the dialogue. The story doesn't really matter, it's a typical rom-com but with songs thrown in, and although everyone seems to think Maurice C stole the show, I think that prize should really be given to Myrna Loy.

Jeanette MacDonald is simply a pain to watch and hardly any of the songs are memorable except for the song Chevalier sings entitled 'Mimi', which I swear I have heard in another musical... (It's not changed to 'Gigi' in the film of the same name is it?). Anyway, it's not really a brilliant attempt at a star-studded music of the early 30s that I would have liked. Sorry. But my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment