Thursday, June 09, 2011

A Night at The Opera - 1935 *****



Thank goodness for the Marx Brothers at the beginning of the 1930s. Really I think America was very lucky to inherit this group of hilarious and talented men who brought a smile to all sorts of people.

A Night at the Opera is a very funny movie. Pure and simple. It doesn't matter about the date it was made or the fact it's in black and white. It's funny and timeless, and Groucho Marx may well be one of the funniest men in films.Ever. His quick comebacks and delivery make every scene that he is in a cinematic treat and his personality is so big that it's almost as though the whole movie is crafted around him.

(My favourite scene involves all the Brothers, beautifully improvising as Groucho invites more and more people into the already packed cabin room on the ship that they happen to be on until there are about 12 people in a room the size of a box, with Groucho narrating as they go). It's pretty much a perfect scene.

This film is one to be enjoyed over and over, and I can imagine myself learning a fair few quotes off this. I must check out the other Marx Brothers' work, I can't believe I have let these amazing actors slip through my fingers for so long.


No comments:

Post a Comment