Friday, June 10, 2011

Five Easy Pieces - 1970 ***



Jack Nicholson plays a thoroughly dislikeable man who works on an oil rig and spends his evenings getting drunk and sleeping with women, whilst his adoring and devoted girlfriend Rayette waits for him.

The characters are horrible, and I know that's what the film is trying to do with the whole 'real life' attitude but I just didn't enjoy it. Nicholson doesn't seem the right person for the part and Karen Black is the weirdest looking woman in the film. I didn't have any sympathy for her, despite the fact she is treated like garbage by Nicholson.

I think there was supposed to be a point in this film about some people never changing, and I'm not saying that I can't like a film with an unsympathetic character, but it helps if there is a bit of plot development so that I don't feel that I'm wasting my time. Sadly there didn't seem to be any here and I finished the film feeling like men just don't know how to treat women very well. (PS I don't actually think that it was Nicholson's amazing acting that played this horrible, egotistical character, I think it was himself simply playing the person that he is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment