Friday, January 30, 2009

The Day the Earth Stood Still - 1951


From out of space, a warning and an ultimatum!
First of all let me tell you now that I am known for disliking Sci-Fi movies. In fact it is ironic when I am so open to other styles and genres of film that I am rather narrow-minded when it comes to them. Quite simply you would need to pay me to watch anything Science Fiction related, so it was with almost blind trepidation that I became interested in this movie. I am aware there is a recent blockbuster version out at the cinemas now but that wasn't the one I wanted to see. This B movie from 1951 was a perfect example I think of a quality movie. And here's the thing - the fact that it was sci-fi didn't bother me whatsoever. In fact I have to say this is one of the best films I have seen in a long time. When I mentioned in my last review that just because a movie is a B movie does not mean it cannot have substance, it couldn't have been more appropriate for this contrast. Both were B movies, only one cut it for me. The idea of a spaceman visiting earth may sound a bit unlikely to you but trust me, the story to this film is consistant and strong the whole way through. The effects were visually brilliant as well for a film done so many years before special effects were known and I think credit really should be given. I am quite interested in UFO type phenomenum and alien-type beings masquerading as human beings was a frightening thought for me, although the message brought was one of peace, not violence. I found great rapport with the 'space man' who had come to earth to try and stop the people from becoming too violent. He was polite, friendly and intelligent, in fact everything you could wish from an alien. A really action-packed film with some great acting and a solid plot.
Rating 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment