Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rosemary's Baby - 1968

Pray for it.

What was I thinking about half a year ago when I watched this and found it a dire and tedious movie? Maybe my mind wasn't focused on it or I was watching a completely different film of the same name, but either way, watching 'Rosemary's Baby' for a second time was like a primary experience for me. Breathtaking and mesmerising, Polanski does what he does best, creating a brutally realistic looking film including a powerful story which is so finely balanced and entertwined that you could believe it was real...A baby being born evil, how unrealistic is that! Well, not at all in this film. Mia Farrow, who I must say seems to play quivering, terrified mice of characters in other films really came out of her shell here and gave a very emotional performance which I shall not forget. Some people may look deeper into this film and see it as some kind of birth control pills warning - whether or not this was Polanski's or even Ira Levin's aim I do not know, but at the time when it was filmed and the time when birth pills were becoming more and more well known it could well be a possibility.
The notorious rape scene in this film is no way near as vile or disrespectful as I imagined it would be, and yet again Polanski focuses on his talent, making things appear worse when not being seen (Hitchcock being another master of that particular craft). It takes a talented and creative Director to complete a film that needs to portray a horrid scene and do it tastefully and Polanski is on the ball here. Watch it.

Rating 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment