Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lonely Hearts - 2007


Love Can Be Murder.
I don't know about anyone else but I found this movie an awfully poor adaptation of the Fernandez/Beck story. Another film I've seen - 'The Honeymoon Killers' stuck closely to the script and generally portrayed a much more realistic interpretation of who these people were. I was surprised that Salma Hayek was chosen for the role of Martha. Beck was over 200 hundred pounds and hardly a beauty and so it was clear this film was made in the Hollywood vein, a habit of going off the plot and putting stunning actresses in parts of people who are supposed to be hideous just to get the movie to do well in the box office. I don't feel this film worked, I had no empathy with any of the characters, even John Travolta's who was dealing with the suicide of his wife. All the parts seemed wooden and I found the story to have too many gaps in it. For someone not aware of the real life case I would probably say this is a good enough movie, but for me I picked up on too many errors.
Rating 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment