Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Fog - 1980


What you can't see CAN hurt you.
Having (maybe stupidly) watched the newer version of this movie before the original I knew what to expect. I expected to be moderately amused, but not really scared. This movie is proof yet again that original versions of films (well, 9/10 I'd say)are much better than the re-makes!
John Carpenter has been in my mixed books for a while, although delivering an uncomfortable film containing plastic-looking vampires did not raise him up. I know he is supposedly a God in moveland and so I was very happy to watch this and find that, yes, he's certainly got talent. I can hear you people who have never seen this film saying 'how can a film about some fog be anything other than a bit boring?', well with a gradual and agonising build-up of suspense that will actually have you on the corner of your seat, and some very solid acting, plus a haunting storyline that will stay with you for a while after the end credits role. No blood, virtually zero gore, and a very scary and unsettling film, isn't that what people want more of these days?
Rating 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment