Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Silver Fleet - 1943

Patriotic and Powerful

Powell and Pressburger are renowned directors of the decade. I have only seen one other of their movies - Black Narcissus. I wasn't bowled over by it, and to be honest I wasn't riveted by this second film either. I really wanted to be, because I know how good they are supposed to be. I am not a big fan of black and white war films, although I don't mind war films where there is a strong, emotional plot and good, wholesome characters. I had believed that 'The Silver Fleet' would be a bit like that. And although Ralph Richardson is a powerful character in the film, the other characters just don't seem to work very well together. I do appreciate the idea of the film, the propaganda and the idea of sacrificing our beliefs for the common good, I just wasn't mesmerised like other reviewers have claimed to be.

Rating 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment