Sunday, January 11, 2009

Get Smart - 2008


He's saving the world, and loving it!

Get Smart does have its funny points, but then a lot of films do. I get the impression it's supposed to make us throw back our heads every couple of seconds and fight to catch our breath which I didn't do. In that aspect I think the director tried way too hard to get laughs. The story wasn't really anything new, people under another identity trying to uncover a plot yadda yadda. Carrell was ok, bu nothing special, in fact has he ever been in anything that was hilarious? I don't think so. Anne Hathaway was alright as well, but being alright does not make a fantastic film. Bit of a shame really because I had been saving this movie to watch assuming it would be smothered in wit, and I was wrong (as I usually am). I won't say there weren't some funny moments because there were, just not frequently enough, although to be fair I think nowadays its hard to find a film that will keep you solidly entertained for the full duration without your mind wandering off in the opposite direction. Mild effort, worth a look, but not a place on your DVD shelf.

Rating 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment